Light and fluffy desserts are my absolute love! The Banana Cream Pie is perfect for the upcoming summer weather because of its cool temperature and airy texture.
Made from a combination of two recipes:
- The crispy, flaky pie crust is from Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Pie and Pastry Bible. If you love pastry, it’s a great read. But Epicurious also has the recipe here.
- And the smooth, creamy filling topped with a pillowy layer of Vanilla whipped cream from Williams-Sonoma.
Don’t forget: There’s also the shortcut option of purchasing pre-made pie crusts from your local grocery store to save time!
Scroll down for tips below!
Some pointers on making the Banana Cream Pie:
- Make sure to bring the custard mixture to a boil (212 degrees F on a food thermometer) and let it sit for for 30 seconds! This prevents the custard from getting runny when your pie is sitting in the fridge.
- The recipe calls for 2 bananas but if you desire a stronger banana flavor, feel free to add more bananas to your liking! (We used 3 in ours!)
- Use a vegetable peeler to make the chocolate curls for the pie topping. It’s a great cooking hack!
- Alternate the filling layers: Custard, banana, custard, banana, custard for an even texture and balanced flavors.
Happy Baking! 😀