What better way to start the Autumn with than some pumpkin goodies! Put down your Pumpkin Spice Latte and kick your tastebuds up a notch with the Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese filling.
If you like Banana Bread, this is very similar – but easier to make since you do not need to keep bananas around until they are furry and black.
For the pumpkin, make sure that you use canned pumpkin with **no spices added**. DO NOT get pumpkin pie filling, you should be in control of the spices you add – not your local grocer! And if you like cream cheese frosting, feel free to double the cream cheese in the middle. Or you could make an additional layer of cream cheese.
We adapted the wonderful recipe from Joy of Baking to go into my adorable baby loaf pans from Sur la Table. They’re small enough to be the perfect individual portion, but bigger than cupcakes so you still have ample room for a soft fragrant center. If you don’t have baby loaf pans, you can get them on Amazon here.
Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling, adapted from Joy of Baking.
Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounce package full fat cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
3 1/2 cups (450 grams) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped dark chocolate (about 150 grams of chocolate)
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 – 15 ounce can (425 grams) pure pumpkin
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1) Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
2) Chop the chocolate into pieces as small as you like (they will be gooey after baking)
3) Butter the loaf pan and dust with flour
Making the Cream Cheese Filling
1) In a stand mixer beat the cream cheese until smooth and fluffy.
2) Add the sugar and egg
3) Beat at low speed until combined and the sugar is incorporated and there are no streaks from the egg. Do not overmix.
4) Set in the fridge
Making the Batter
1) In one bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Then stir in the chocolate.
2) In another bowl, whisk together the eggs until they’re a bit pale.
3) Add sugar and melted butter and whisk in.
4) Stir in pumpkin, water and vanilla extract.
5) Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
1) Pour batter into each baby loaf pan until 1/3rd full.
2) Spoon the cream cheese filling over top each one. Smooth out gently with a spoon.
3) Add the remainder of the batter over each one.
4) Put in oven for about 18 minutes. Depending on the size of your loaf pan, it may take more time. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean.
5) Place pan on wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove the baked loafs from the pan and continue cooling.
These little breads are wonderful fresh out of the oven. Otherwise store them in the fridge since there’s cream cheese in them. They reheat beautifully at a low temperature (200 degrees) for about a half hour. Ours lasted 4 days in the fridge until we finished them.